resend: multiple routing table roadmap (format fix)

Vadim Goncharov vadimnuclight at tpu.ru
Tue Jan 8 10:29:45 PST 2008

07.01.08 @ 03:41 Andre Oppermann wrote:

> Vadim Goncharov wrote:

>>> I'm not 100 % convinced of this...
>>> I was, but I think there may still be a place for a cached arp pointer
>>> in hte next hop route to the arp entry for that next hop.
>>> I DO however thing that the arp stuff should nto be accessing its
>>> data via the routing table.
>>  Surely, routing table should contain a cached pointer to an entry in
>> L2 table (ARP in case of Ethernet), to not do double lookups. But still
>> separate those tables...
>
> Locking hell over again.  How do you remove an ARP entry without doing
> a full walk over the entire routing table (some 250K entries for the
> DFZ)?  Make it rmlocks and be done with it.

Why a full walk, why such a dumb way? To remove an ARP entry for host
A.B.C.D in L2 table of form (A.B.C.D -> 00:01:02:03:04:05), it is enough
to do a (usual speed) routing lookup for host A.B.C.D and modify a one
pointer in it's rtentry to NULL or remove rtentry (if it's selected to be
implemented as cloned). Thus, when on regular forwarding (table read) a
routing lookup is done, we already have a FAST access - one pointer
dereference - for it's L2 table entry, be it ARP or any other L2 type
(which support becoming easily with separation of L2 and L3). And on every
modification of L2 table - which is RARE - do lookup with usual speed to
modify cached pointer. Compare it with a scheme where for EVERY forwarded
packet, there is a need for DOUBLE lookup - after a routing one, do
another in L2 table.

Current routing table implementation, with all disadvantages of combining
L2 and L3, have from the same combinig a one HUGE benefit - performance.
And never, ever, ever, ever even try to split L2 from L3 with losing that
performance - then it should be still never split, despite all
disadvantages, and you'll become an enemy of many, many users. Especially
while caching allows to do things reasonably fast.

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov