Hping/Ping

Dave Raven dave at raven.za.net
Tue Feb 26 16:36:56 UTC 2008

Hi all,
	I have a problem where my machine is dropping packets and pings
after a few days of running (under load). The reason I'm mailing the -net
list is because I seem to have tracked down something I'm just not sure
where to look now. If I use ping I get 5% drops --

872 packets transmitted, 827 packets received, 5% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.168/2.263/357.140/20.485 ms

If I use hping (to the exact same ip with icmp as well) I get none --

875 packets tramitted, 875 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.2/2.5/357.2 ms

Is there some buffer filling up? Where can I look to try get more
information. Any help/suggestions would be muchly appreciated

Thanks
Dave