panic in 6.3-RELEASE when multi-cast client exits

Bruce M. Simpson bms at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 19 14:00:59 UTC 2008

Rob Watt wrote:
> Hi.
>
> We recently upgraded some of our machines to 6.3-RELEASE and we have been
> plagued by repeatable panics when our multi-cast client applications exit.
> Our machines have Intel X5365 processors, LSI MegaSAS 1064R cards, and Intel
> Pro 1000 MF nic cards (although we have seen this problem with the onboard
> Intel copper nics as well). We have seen this panic with machines that have
> Tyan boards as well as Super Micro. I have seen a few postings that seem to
> refer to related panics, and bug
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=116077 contains a patch that
> seems like it should address the problem, but our patched system still
> panics. I have attached the output from 3 of the dumps/backtraces. Dump #1
> is probably the most useful. I am happy to provide more info if necessary.

Some folk reported that they didn't see this problem occur with the code
in 7.x, which jibes as I rewrote some of the logic in that branch. It's
been nearly a year since I last had time to look at anything related to
this.

My understanding is that 7.0 is getting closer to release status so you
may wish to try reproducing the problem there.

The human resource situation hasn't changed much on my end, though I am
getting closer to having time to finishing IGMPv3 (it's needed for other
stuff in the future). I haven't been able to reproduce the bug in the
PR, which makes suggesting other courses of action difficult.

cheers
BMS