Multiple default routes on multihome host

Eygene Ryabinkin rea-fbsd at codelabs.ru
Mon Feb 18 23:20:39 UTC 2008

Bill,

Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 05:54:33PM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
> > > I can be done with CARP
> > > if both providers support it and are willing to work together.
> >                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Very, very unlikely for me ;))
>
> Overall, Eygene, you're trying to haul freight with a Yugo.
>
> If you truly have a need for highly available system, you need to work
> with a provider who has the expertise and is willing to do it.
>
> Of course, that's going to cost you more money, just like an industrial-
> grade tractor-trailer will cost you more than a Yugo.
>
> Internet connections aren't just about speed like most PHBs think.  There
> are a lot of other factors, and this is one of them.
>
> But again, if you have the need for all this network redundancy, shouldn't
> you have _2_ Apache servers in a failover (or load-balanced) configuration?
>
> To me, it sounds like you need to establish the real _business_ requirement
> here.  If it's true HA, then you're far, far from it at this point.  If it's
> rapid recovery from failure, you might consider something like heartbeat.
> If all you need is to balance bandwidth between two links, there are other
> hacks to make that happen.  Possibly, you just need to describe the
> existing business requirement better in this discussion.
>
> You're _never_ going to have true HA if you're using two providers that
> aren't willing to cooperate.

You're talking about industrial-grade connections.  Mine were more
like the home ones: two small ISPs, one with local Ethernet network
and one with DSL.  They will never play with each one in my situation,
moreover, they should not even notice that my host is dual-homed.
So, that was the cheap way to be online most of the time.

Thanks for the education!  I have only one question: what it 'Yugo'?
I had not found it in nearby dictionaries ;))

Thanks again!
--
Eygene