Multiple default routes on multihome host

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Mon Feb 18 22:12:43 UTC 2008

Nick Barnes wrote:
> At 2008-02-18 21:36:18+0000, Bill Moran writes:
>>
>>> I have a multi-home host: more than one IP address.  The addresses are
>>> in separate subnets but run over the same ethernet segment (this is a
>>> temporary situation while I switch an office network over from one
>>> network provider to another).
>>>
>>> I want packets from address A1 to be sent via gateway G1, but packets
>>> from address A2 to be sent via gateway G2.
>>>
>>> How do I do this?  Can I just have more than one default route?  I'm
>>> remote from the machine in question, so I don't want to tinker with
>>> the default route until I'm sure of the answer.
>> You can't have multiple default routes.  The fact that you want to is
>> an indicator of incorrect network design, although it could be an
>> artifact of the interim setup while you migrate things around.
>>
>> I would suggest you ask yourself (and possibly the list) _why_ you think
>> multiple default routes is necessary ... what is it that you're hoping
>> to accomplish.  I'm guessing your looking for some sort of redundancy,
>> in which case something like CARP or RIP is liable to be the correct
>> solution.
>
> I agree that this is probably my inexperience showing.
>
> I have an office network which is switching leased line, from provider
> P1 to provider P2.  I have a /25 from P1 and a (different) /24 from
> P2.  I am doing the migration a few machines at a time: move a little,
> test a little, etc.  I am dual-homing each host for a short period
> while I am switching it over.  The dual-homing works just fine, over a
> shared ethernet segment, except for the fact that I can only have one
> default route.
>
> This means that I am sending packets from an address given to me by P2
> to P1's router (my existing default route).  As an experimental
> matter, today, this does in fact work - these packets are getting to
> their destinations, via P1 - but it looks a heck of a lot like
> spoofing and I am half-expecting the wrath of P1 to descend on me.
> Either that or for them to silently stop routing the packets.
>
> I would rather send packets from the P2 subnet addresses to the P2
> router, while the packets from the P1 subnet addresses keep going to
> the P1 router.
>
> Apparently I can do this with some IPFW cunning, but that seems like
> overkill for what seems like it ought to be a common problem.
>
> If I were in the office, I would gird my loins for a single hard
> session on all the consoles, to do all the config changes at once,
> abandoning the P1 addresses.  As it is, doing it remotely, I'm being a
> little more tentative.

Unless you actually want all your machines to be remotely
accessible from the outside, you should probably just turn on
NAT on the new ISP interface, turn off the old one, and be
done with it.

Then your internal addresses are of no interest at all.
You could move the one or two machines that need to be remotely
accessible to the new addresses and leave the others as they are, or
move them over at your leasure over the next year or so.
(or move them to rfc1918 addresss and save yourself the cost of the
/24)