mpd-netgraph related issue

Alexander Pavlov lup at apriko.ru
Mon Feb 18 15:51:44 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm using a couple of freebsd boxes for providing pptp vpn services.
Some of them have nearly identical hardware and software configuration.
Others don't (I use amd64 and i386 architectures). But the same problem
is observed on either of them. The problem is that at arbitrary moment
of time (almost daily) box losses connectivity. I've tried to upgrade
from 6.1-RELEASE to 6.2-RELEASE, but problem remains.
Now I'm running:
#uname -v
FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p9 #1: Sat Jan 26 17:31:44 UTC 2008
lup at torment.skynet:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLONED-CORE
# mpd4 -v
Version 4.3

For NAT I use ipnat:
#ipf -V
ipf: IP Filter: v4.1.13 (416)

Two em-NIC's are on board
# pciconf -l|grep em
em0 at pci4:0:0:   class=0x020000 card=0x348d8086 chip=0x108c8086 rev=0x03
hdr=0x00
em1 at pci5:5:0:   class=0x020000 card=0x348d8086 chip=0x10768086 rev=0x05
hdr=0x00

I observe three different scenarios:
1. Complete loss of connectivity (box is working).
Box itself is not frozen, but I can't even ping localhost. I'm not
running outof mbufs -- output of netstat -m seems to be ok. Other kernel
limitations are not exceeded also (but not sure that I've checked all of
them).

2. Complete loss of connectivity (box hangs up).
Symtoms are same, except a very strange behaviour of box. When I'm
trying to log in locally, I do not observe any reaction on my
keystrokes, but when I'm trying to shutdown box, it says
acpi: suspend request ignored (not ready yet)
and shows me everything I typed. Using power button as enter key %)) I
can login locally and run some commands. top shows load averages beyond
1, but no network connectivity though.

3. Particial loss of connectivity.
I can connect to ports 22, 1723 and other opened ports via LAN interface
(on which mpd operates) using telnet. ICMP also works. But I can't login
using ssh and I can't connect using pptp client. ssh via wan interface
works perfectly.

There are some symptoms, which are same for all of the scenarios above:
1. I can't shutdown mpd. Sending KILL signal does nothing.
2. When I try to run ngctl (e.g. ngctl types), it hangs, but I can kill
ngctl process.
3. When I try to reboot box, it hangs (but still responds to icmp echo
requests) until I hard-reset it.

Can anybody explain this abnormal behaviour?