Newb question

Nick Rogness nick at rogness.net
Wed Feb 13 10:13:06 PST 2008

On 2/8/08, Kurt Buff <kurt.buff at gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> My company is getting a fractional DS3 in the near future, and I've
> acquired a Sangoma a301 card to handle the interface.
>
> We're retaining one of the T1s we currently have, from a different
> provider, and we're intent on using BGP to manage the two connections.
>
> Does anyone have good pointers to tutorials or howtos on setting up
> OpenBGP for a newb like me who has never done this before?
>
> I've got the ARIN web site open now, looking through the docs on
> getting our ASN, but it's all new to me, and I could use a little
> help.

  1) talk to your providers to see if they will BGP peer with you
    - Get their ASN and ARIN Organization Names

  2) Get stuff from ARIN:
    a) Register a POC (POC Template)
        - You will get a POC handle back ARIN
    b) Register your Organization (Organization Template)
       - You will need the POC handle from step a.
       - You will get a ORG ID back from ARIN
    c) Request an ASN (AS Number request template)
       - You will need the info from #1, step a & step b
        - You will "hopefully" get an ASN number from ARIN.

  3) Choose a routing deamon, zebra or openbgp
   - You will need to setup them up with info from #1 & #2
   - Make sure you understand everything, BGP can be dangerous
   - Please filter announcements and source addresses!!!!!

   4)Coordinate time with Providers to turn up BGP
     - you can do them one at a time.

   5) Turn BGP peering up with provider on the phone (not a VoIP phone)