FreeBSD network stack Vs others

ithilgore ithilgore.fbsd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 12:46:39 PST 2008

Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * ithilgore -- <ithilgore.fbsd at gmail.com> [080204 06:59] wrote:
>
>>  I 'd like to learn what are the basic differences ( pros and cons ) between
>> the
>> FreeBSD network stack and the other OSs' ( especially linux )
>>
>> I know that linux has had everything rewritten from scratch as far as the
>> implementation of tcp-ip and the sockets are concerned and would like to
>> know if this has made it actually more robust or state-of-the-art than
>> FreeBSD's or the opposite.
>>
>> Some actual technical details and references would be appreciated.
>>

> Linux's stack hasn't been rewritten from the BSD one, it was written
> from scratch.
>
> Linux's tcp/ip stack has been rewritten many times over the years
> with the promise of large performance gains.
>
> The fact of the matter is that the performance on the "bleeding
> edge" of both systems, FreeBSD and Linux, is about the same.
>
> From a BSD proponent's perspective, I would take the pragmatic
> viewpoint that everytime Linux reinvents its stack to get performance
> or some other feature FreeBSD isn't far behind with a relatively
> minor change to its stack to accomplish the same feat.
>
> -Alfred

This means less work for the same gain, if it is as you say.
As far as special cases are concerned, has FreeBSD taken extra care for
them ?
Like for example error checking on more things or
additional care for a special bad condition not to happen.
What about the security hardening ? Would the FreeBSD network stack
succumb less easily to attacks (supposing one doesn't use any additional
protection mechanism ) ?