HEADSUP: arp-v2 has been committed

Li, Qing qing.li at bluecoat.com
Wed Dec 31 06:18:17 UTC 2008

Hi,

> > If it's easy to reintroduce it and become backwards compatible I
> > would do it. Like Julian said, you can give it the value 0. It
> > would be nice if the kernel tested for the old value as well,
> > perhaps behind an #ifdef COMPAT_FREEBSD*. That way when people
> > upgrade to FreeBSD 8 all their ports compiled under FreeBSD 7
> > keep working.
>
> What of this will be doable, Qing?  I guess Tijl and me need to
> understand when/whether/what to submit to Wine upstream...

I don't think we can provide binary compatibility without putting
back RTF_LLINFO exactly as it was. My preference is to continue down
the new path without RTF_LLINFO.

We still have some time before the 8.0 release. It's straightforward for

me to retain some of the RTF_LLINFO support in the new kernel if and
when the situation becomes necessary.

>>> I believe all of the affected ports have been updated to
>>> include the conditional blocks around RTF_LLINFO. So
>>> there is still a level of compatibility, right ?

>> Yes, and I'm OK with this. It's just that this makes FreeBSD 8
>> a special case.
>
> Agreed.

Since the affected ports now have the conditional code around
RTF_LLINFO,
the updates would allow these ports to compile in both -current and in
the
previous releases.

Let's go with this approach.

Thanks,