SCTP : problems in sending ASCONF chunks

Michael Tüxen Michael.Tuexen at lurchi.franken.de
Mon Dec 29 17:59:49 UTC 2008

Hi Aman,

comments in-line.

Best regards
Michael

On Dec 29, 2008, at 6:12 PM, <ajassal.ext at orange-ftgroup.com> <ajassal.ext at orange-ftgroup.com
 > wrote:

> Hello M.Tüxen,
>
> I performed a quick test and at the INIT/INIT-ACK exchange, I
> noticed the following :
>
> - In the INIT chunk, the Supported Extensions Parameter field
> indicates that ASCONF, ASCONF-ACK, FORWARD-TSN, PKTDROP,
> STREAM_RESET and AUTH are supported
OK. That is the FreeBSD box.

> - In the INIT-ACK chunk, there is no field indicating that any of
> the chunks listed above are supported...
So it does not support ASCONF and AUTH.
At least on a Fedora 9 box you need to enable ADD-IP by setting the
sysctl variable
net.sctp.addip_enable
to 1.
To enable SCTP-AUTH you need to set the sysctl variable
net.sctp.auth_enable
to 1.
I'm not sure whether the Linux box support SCTP-AUTH or not... So the
second step might not work. If this is the case you can disable the
AUTH requirement for ASCONF chunks by setting on the FreeBSD box the
sysctl
variable
net.inet.sctp.asconf_auth_nochk
to 1

Let me know if this works...

> I didn't think about looking in this before >_<
>
> Since there is no indication given to my PC, perhaps my PC assumes
> that T doesn't support ASCONF, ASCONF-ACK, FORWARD-TSN, PKTDROP,
> STREAM_RESET and AUTH.
Correct. At least some of the extension are not enabled.

> Could it be that, because it doesn't see any Supported Extensions
> Parameter field in the INIT-ACK, my PC doesn't try to send any
> ASCONF chunk ?? Do we absolutely need to have the ASCONF, ASCONF-ACK
> and AUTH parameters in the Supported Extensions Parameter, in both
> the INIT and the INIT-ACK chunks, to have the possibility of sending
> an ASCONF chunk ?
In principle, yes! You can work around the AUTH chunks as indicated
above, but this
violates the specification and is only supported to interwork with
legacy implementations.

> Kind regards
>

> Aman Jassal

>>> IPv6