HEADSUP: arp-v2 has been committed

Hartmut Brandt hartmut.brandt at dlr.de
Tue Dec 23 14:39:32 PST 2008

Hi Kip,

Kip Macy wrote:
>>> And another point: when changing external interfaces it might be
>>> possible to ask for a full port build with the changes to look for the
>>> fall-out on ports. I would say that this commit was a good candidate

>>> get the port maintainers into the boat earlier.
>>>
>>> not so happy,
>>>

> The only reasonable way to do a full ports build is to ask portmgr to
> use the build systems. Although it may now be possible with svn, in
> the past there was no way for him to do that for out of tree code.
> Hence portmgr does not share your point of view.

Well, they did this in the past, for example when I did some heavy work
on make(1). At that time Kris did this, I don't know through which
magic, though.
> What we should have done is grepped for RTM_RESOLVE and the flags that
> I removed.  However, that did not occur to me. He asked on numerous
> occasions for review and someone should have brought it up then. We do
> not feel that it is reasonable to hold him solely responsible when he
> did not act in a unilateral fashion.

I usually take care of stuff that touches anything that has to do with
the SNMP stuff, but this time the triggering did not work. I probably
was sure that people will directly mail before touching someting in
src/contrib.
> Thank you for taking care of that bit of breakage.

No problem. That was a good kick to finally look how this vendor import
stuff works and get the next import prepared.

Don't take it too serious,  't was just a bad day (it started with a
broken cup :-)

harti