Getting WPA2-PSK

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Fri Dec 19 14:40:33 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 05:33:17PM -0500, Jordy Dickinson wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Brooks Davis <brooks at freebsd.org> wrote:

> > doing

> > > You're probably running a custom kernel without the wlan_xauth module
> > built
> > > in. Either load it as a module or compile it in your kernel.
> > >
> > > You may also want to use wpa_supplicant instead.
> >
> > More specifically, setting "authmode wpa" with ifconfig will always be
> > wrong (unless perhaps someday someone adds a suplicant to the kernel).
> > If you want WPA to work, you must run wpa_supplicant.
> >
> > -- Brooks
>

> So how do I use wpa_supplicant? I've installed it on my machine already, and
> the man pages are gibberish to me.

You have to add appropriate entries to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf for your
network.  See the examples in the default file and the wpa_supplicant.conf
manpage for details.  You would then add WPA to your ifconfig_wi0 line in
/etc/rc.conf.  However, even if you do this, you will not actually be able to
use WPA because wi(4) devices only support WEP (I missed that you were running
wi(4) before).  If you have a WPA encrypted network you will need to get
another card.

> Also, is there a way to make the mailing list stop sending me emails that
> I'm not part of?

You can not subscribe to the list.

Since you have pretty basic questions you might consider asking the
freebsd-questions list.

-- Brooks