Surf outside Internet through VPN

Noah Silverman noah at webclipping.com
Fri Dec 19 12:54:47 PST 2008

Thanks for all the replies.

I think that I need to better explain what I'm trying to do....

My company has a small server farm that is co-located at a major ISP.
In that farm we have a machine that acts as a small webserver and pop
server.
Since that webserver is already "exposed" to the public, I thought it
would make a good choice as a VPN server for a few of our guys who
travel and/or connect from home.

Right now, I have openVPN working, certificates exchanged and signed,
etc.  I can remotely connect and setup a tunnel easily.  I can ssh to
the openVPN server using 10.0.8.1 and it works.  I CAN'T surf the web
or get outside the netblock of my openVPN.

For this e-mail, lets assume the public IP of the webserver is
123.123.123.100

This was my plan:

1 )Setup openVPN on the webserver with a TUN interface.
2) Remote workers can then connect to the openVPN running on
123.123.123.100
3) Remote workers can now access our pop and smtp email at 10.0.8.1
(Address from openVPN.)
4) When Remote workers surf web or connect to other outside services,
they appear to come from 123.123.123.100 (address of webserver.)
5) Remote workers need to access some "admin" pages on the webserver.
Again, this should be easy as they could connect to 10.0.8.1 to get to
the webserver through the VPN tunnel.  We can then add rules to the
webserver to only allow admin access from the 10.0.8.x block.
6) Remote workers can access services on  our other servers through
various firewalls because we have a simple rule in those firewalls
allowing traffic in from 123.123.123.100.

The "big picture" was to "standardize" the way remote workers connect,
and to make sure all their traffic comes from the same IP address.
That way we can manage rules for firewall, email relaying, mysql
access, etc.

Here are the key  config settings for openVPN that I have setup now:
proto udp
dev tun
server 10.0.8.0 255.255.255.0
push "route 10.0.8.0 255.255.255.0"
push "redirect-gateway"
client-to-client

My guess is that I'm missing some very basic config line or routing
setup.

Here are some interesting observations:

############
On the client (remote laptop)  I see some strange things in "netstat -
rn"
the first line is:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif
Expire
0/1                10.0.8.5          UGSc        6       74   tun0

Why is the gateway coming in as "10.0.8.5"??   I thought my gateway
would be 10.0.8.1 from openVPN.  Why did it skip to "5"

##############
On the webserver (openVPN host)  "netstat -rn" gives me the following:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif
Expire
default            123.123.123.1        UGS         0 10514423    em0
10.0.8/24         10.0.8.2          UGS         0      436   tun0

Why is the gateway "10.0.8.2"??  Shouldn't it be "10.0.8.1"??

On the webserver (openVPN host) an ifconfig shows some odd results

tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet 10.0.8.1 --> 10.0.8.2 netmask 0xffffffff
	Opened by PID 52970

What is the reference to '10.0.8.2'??  I didn't put that in.

Any and all help, suggestions, ideas, etc would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

-N