IPv6 routing help?

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Thu Dec 18 16:12:17 PST 2008

Max Laier wrote:

> On the interface you are running rtadvd you need a global address out of your
> stf prefix, e.g. 2002:aabb:ccdd:1::/64.  Once you do that, everything else
> should just fall into place.  The client will configure an address out of that
> prefix and adds a route via 2002:aabb:ccdd:1::/64.  This should get you going.

Thanks, I understand now what I was doing wrong before. Actually 6to4 is
very elegant.

Another related question: if I understand it correctly, rtadvd should
also be used for address autoconfiguration (like DHCP for IPv6, but not
actually DHCP). I have it running with defaults (they look like they
should do the right thing) and apparently it works as the client got the
link-local address of the router as it's default IPv6 route, but I
expected it would also automagically pick up the 2002:aabb:ccdd:1::/64
network when I assigned an address from it on the router and
autoconfigure its own address. Maybe I'm expecting too much of it?