About netstat -m: What is "mbuf+clusters out of packet secondary zone in use" ?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 15 10:29:50 PST 2008

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Yony Yossef wrote:

> I'm testing an Ethernet driver on FreeBSD 6.3.
>
> Running netstat -m during an ethernt stress test I see that the
> "mbuf+clusters out of packet secondary zone in use" number is growing
> gradualy. Problem is it never goes down after I stop the test, so it's
> pushing the "mbufs in use" up until the following stress test iterations
> reach the OS limit. What does this number mean?

It seems likely that one of two things is happening:

(1) a leak of mbuf + clusters
(2) a bug in stats on mbuf + clusters

Could you paste the output of "vmstat -z | grep -i mbuf" into an e-mail?
That's the underlying vm stats from the zone used to generate netstat -m
output, and might shed more light on things.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge