ath: is here full list of supported chipsets and chipsets comparsion?

Sam Leffler sam at freebsd.org
Mon Dec 15 10:15:45 PST 2008

Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello, All.
>
>   `man ath' on FreeBSD 7.1-PRE speaks only about WPA2 in AR5212 and
> not-supported AR5005VL. But in "current" cars here are many other
> chipsets -- 5213A, 5414, etc... And Atheros site is not very helpful
> now  -- there are not 5212, 5213A, 5414 chipsets in both areas "WLAN
> for Home, Office and Metro Wi-Fi" and "WLAN for Mobile" (BTW, link to
> http://customerproducts.atheros.com/ doesn't work anymore).
>
>   Is here full list of supported chipsets, and, maybe, some table with
> chipsets features (AES, WPA2, AP mode, etc)?

HEAD supports most PCI/cardbus parts.  The main exceptions are the 9280
and 9285.  The ath9k driver for linux supports them and anyone can add
support using that.  11n parts only support legacy operation though w/
~10 line change to the driver you can get 11n RX + legacy TX.

RELENG_7 has a much older hal and lacks support for many cards.  I
recommend using HEAD if wireless support is important to you.  No ETA on
an update by me--others are welcome to supply the changes.

All ath cards support all features you listed (except for the 5210 which
you're unlikely to care about).

    Sam