dhclient doing DISCOVER with bad IP checksum - compile optimization issue

Jonathan Feally vulture at netvulture.com
Tue Dec 2 23:09:08 PST 2008

Ok, I managed to cause it again.
dhclient was the problem.

My source tree was fine. Turns out that it is my make.conf CFLAGS=-O3
setting.
When compiled with -O3 it will generate packets with bad checksums.
Simply recompiling it with -O2 did not cause this issue and dhclient
works fine.

So the question becomes, what is happening with -O3 that is breaking it?

So far I am not having any other issues with -O3 on the rest of the system.

-Jon

believed to be clean.