Weird tunneling issue

Robert Blacquiere freebsd-net at blacquiere.nl
Sun Aug 31 15:07:53 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'me having some strange issues with openvpn when a gre tunnel is
active. When reverting to gif tunneling the problem does not occur.

What happens. I setup a openvpn tunnel to a acces server with a gre tunnel
active. Setup of the openvpn tunnel succeeds ant have connection. After
a view seconds, between 10 and 60, the openvpn session gets a SIGUSR1 on
the client site.

Over the gre tunnel is a link to a radius server for authentication of
the openvpn clients. When i use a gif tunnel between the server and the
radius server, this does not happen.

To make it more strange if i have a gre tunnel to some other host active
and have the gif tunnel between the access and radius server, the
connection (openvpn) is rock stable.

gre1: flags=9051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,LINK0,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1476
        tunnel inet $ip_accessserver --> $ip_radiusserver
        inet 10.A.A.240 --> 10.A.A.241 netmask 0xffffffff

gif1: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1280
        tunnel inet $ip_accessserver --> $ip_radiusserver
        inet 10.A.A.102 --> 10.A.A.101 netmask 0xffffffff

tap0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether 00:bd:fa:5f:c6:00
        Opened by PID 28781

I'me running FreeBSD 7.0-Stable of end jul. on a amd64.

Any clues how i could attack this problem or find a solution?

Regards

Robert

FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?
OpenBSD: Hey guys you left some holes out there!