IPv6 on Carp interfaces not supported ?

Wouter de Jong maddog2k at maddog2k.net
Sat Aug 30 14:04:27 UTC 2008

Hi,

Is IPv6 supported on Carp interfaces on FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE ?

I've spent quite some time to get it working... but I don't succeed...the carp-address will never ping nor route.

What do I do ?

Basic IPv6 :

machine1:
sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.forwarding=1
ifconfig bge0 inet6 2001:a:b:c::2/64
route -n add -inet6 default 2001:a:b:c::fffe

machine2:
sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.forwarding=1
ifconfig bge0 inet6 2001:a:b:c::3/64
route -n add -inet6 default 2001:a:b:c::fffe

Both addresses are pingable, and when I use either of
them on other machines as gateway, they route fine.

So now carp :

machine1:
ifconfig carp1 create
ifconfig carp1 vhid 30 pass mekmitasdigoat
ifconfig carp1 inet6 2001:a:b:c::1/64

machine2:
ifconfig carp1 create
ifconfig carp1 vhid 30 advskew 100 pass mekmitasdigoat
ifconfig carp1 inet6 2001:a:b:c::1/64

carp goes succesfully to master on one machine, and to backup on another.

However..... i can't ping the virtual address 2001:a:b:c::1 from either machine1 or machine2.
Nor can other PC's ping it or use it as a gateway.

Am i forgetting something ?

IPv4 carp works as a charm on these machines....

Regards,

Wouter de Jong