Carp renaming cuts the traffic off

Slawek Zak slawek.zak at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 11:23:38 UTC 2008

Hi,

Something weird is going on with renaming of carp interfaces. I use
FreeBSD stable updated on August 18.

My setup:

ifconfig em0 up
ifconfig em1 up
ifconfig lagg0 create up laggproto failover laggport em0 laggport em1
ifconfig vlan4 create up vlan 4 vlandev lagg0 192.168.0.1/24
ifconfig carp1 create up vhid 1 pass testpass 192.168.0.2/24

I ping 192.168.0.2 (carp IP addres) from external host and get replies
- works fine. Now do "ifconfig carp1 name something_else" and watch
the magic. I get no traffic back from the carp IP address. Does
someone have any clue what's going on and why?

Thank you, /S