HEADS UP: E1000 networking changes in STABLE/7.1 RELEASE

Paul paul at gtcomm.net
Thu Aug 14 05:43:40 UTC 2008

Nice.. Now if they would just optimize the IP stack for SMP and the rest
of the drivers we may have a piece of equipment and OS
that will compete with the hardware vendor routers :)   Full BGP, a few
million pps(I hope), and filters.. Nothing does that right now short of
Juniper M7i or Cisco SUP720-3b/cxl or 72xx, etc..  Of course the first 2
do it way faster but are also very expensive.

Linux is backwards on packet forwarding until they get rid of the route
cache, it's almost useless in a service provider environment (millions
of flows and
hundreds of thousands of new flows per second for instance), although
it's still the most flexible.

Please keep us updated on any interesting changes to the em/igb/ixgb :>
I have ordered an 82575 card and will be testing it along with some
other CPUs to fire up my routing performance thread again :> :>

Paul