Application layer classifier for ipfw

eculp eculp at encontacto.net
Fri Aug 1 15:27:04 UTC 2008

Quoting Mike Makonnen <mtm at wubethiopia.com>:

> Daniel Dias Gonçalves wrote:
>> You will go to develop a version to work with PF ?
>>
> I don't know what's needed to get it to work with pf, but if it's not too
> much work, sure.

That would be great, Mike.  I'm seeing more and more bandwidth being
used with p2p that I haven't been able to control with pf.  The
thought has entered my mind to change back to ipfw that I used for
many years before changing to pf maybe 3 years ago.  I also found
dummynet to be easy and practical to set up for both incoming and
outgoing connections.  Something else I haven't figured out how to do
the same with altq, if even possible.  In fact, if I am able to
control p2p with pf I may not even need bidirectional bandwidth limits.

Thanks for sharing your very practical solution to a real world
problem.  Have a great weekend.

ed