multiple routing tables review patch ready for simple testing.

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Wed Apr 30 18:47:30 UTC 2008

Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> Julian Elischer wrote:
>>
>> what's SSM?
>
> Source-specific multicast, where multicast flows (channels) are
> identified by both their original source address, and group address.
> Multicast addresses have no meaning on their own beyond the scope of a
> single link.
>
>> I haven't changed any of that.. Basically I've kept clear of
>> M/Cast. The way I see it, if you don't define ROUTETABLES=2 (or more)
>> or don;t define it at all in your config then you get what you had
>> before and I shouldn't have broken anything.
>
> Cool! Doing multicast "right" is Hard. Doing it "right" in ad-hoc
> topologies is Harder.
>
> It makes sense to steer clear of it for now. It can no doubt benefit
> from the hierarchy offered by multiple FIBs, but again, the policy
> routing mechanisms don't really exist just now, and things like PIM need
> changes to encompass it.
>
> They will need to come into existence for the model to work on a macro
> scale, for the same reason SSM was put on the table.
>

>> I take it from this that you don't have any major complaints
>> as far as what I've done.
>
> No problems here... I haven't tried testing.

please  please do..

just apply the patch to a regular source tree and compile.. :-)

> I would say though if we are going to be renaming rtalloc() and friends,
> that names should really change to be descriptive of what it does.
> It doesn't "allocate a route", it tries to look up a forwarding table
> entry, and returns a reference to it.

It's important to not break source compatibility for 3rd party
suppliers and users. (e.g. ironport, juniper, nokia, issilon, etc. etc.)

they know about rtalloc...

having said that I do plan on a pass over the code to rationalise some
of the names that may have "evolved" during developement of the patch.