OS throws away large packets

Yehonatan Yossef yoniy at mellanox.co.il
Tue Apr 29 17:14:23 UTC 2008

Hi Sam, I have mentioned working on 6.3.

FreeBSD 6.2 had this check in if_ethersubr.c / ether_input:

539 if (m->m_pkthdr.len >
540             ETHER_MAX_FRAME(ifp, etype, m->m_flags & M_HASFCS)) {
541                 if_printf(ifp, "discard oversize frame "
542                                 "(ether type %x flags %x len %u >
max %lu)\n",
543                                 etype, m->m_flags, m->m_pkthdr.len,
544                                 ETHER_MAX_FRAME(ifp, etype,
545                                                 m->m_flags &
M_HASFCS));
546                 ifp->if_ierrors++;
547                 m_freem(m);
548                 return;
549         }

Patching it was explained by neterion in
http://trac.neterion.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/wiki/FreeBSD.
This check no longer exists in 6.3, nor any other oversize packet
handling (I couldn't find any so far).
I also get no error prints from the OS.