if_vge.c TX checksum errors on 6.3R-p2 7.0R-p1

Andrew Snow andrew at modulus.org
Mon Apr 28 13:39:54 UTC 2008

Dewayne Geraghty wrote:
 > Hi, I have four VIA motherboards each containing a vge0 device, three
are misbehaving.

 >   On both the 7.0R-p1 and the 6.3Rp2 motherboards, the network cable
needs to be unplugged and replugged into the motherboard, before ping
will respond in either direction.  The driver is issueing "incorrect"
checksums during transmissions from the vge device, as observed from
tcpdump -vvv.

Hello,

We have had success with many of the Via EN12000E motherboards and
FreeBSD.  These have the VT6122 chip on VIA VT8237R-series South Bridge.
  We have used various versions of 6.0-6.2 and 7.0-STABLE and it has
always performed flawlessly at 100m and gigabit speeds to various switches.

I wonder if you have are experiencing an incompability with your switch
or the device at the other end of the cable?  That kind of behaviour
smells like a link-level issue to me.

- Andrew