Question about ip accounting

Vincent Mialon vincent at netaktiv.com
Fri Apr 18 11:23:06 UTC 2008

Hello

I'm in a six months placement at Gitoyen http://www.gitoyen.net/ (a small
opensource-based LIR)

Gitoyen is a Local Internet Registry. The current routing solution is
based on Linux with Quagga running OSPF and BGP. All routers runs
Linux from USB flash drives but we think that FreeBSD could be much better
with OpenOSPFD and OpenBGPD. My mission at Gitoyen is to be able to route
about 2Gbps at 190 kilo packets per second using opensource softwares...

Can you give me some advices on IP accounting? It must be lightweight to let
openbgpd working fluently. If informations could be retrieved by snmp it
would be great too.

I found two ways of doing this: using pf or netgraph (particularly the ports
ipaccounting_ng) so the questions are:
- Is there a best way to do this?
- Wich solution is the "lightest" for a router?
- Is there a other ways to do IP accounting?

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Vincent Mialon