MFC of TOE support to RELENG_7

gnn at freebsd.org gnn at freebsd.org
Fri Apr 18 06:33:07 UTC 2008

At Thu, 17 Apr 2008 21:00:04 -0700,
Kip Macy wrote:

> I would like to MFC TOE and RDMA support in the last week of May /
> first week of June. My primary objective is that it be present in 7.1.
> The re team has not yet decided when the freeze date for 7.1 will be,
> so I may end up asking to do it earlier.
>
> The reason I'm bringing it up roughly 6 weeks in advance is that there
> is a certain amount of debate with regards to the ABI guarantees that
> FreeBSD network developers are willing to commit to for the remaining
> life of the RELENG_7 branch.
>
> I've made the following two simplifying assumptions:
>    - struct tcpcb and struct sockbuf are append only - i.e. if members
> are added, they will be added to the end
>    - lock ordering will not change, e.g. the inpcb lock will always be
> acquired before the sockbuf lock
>
> Is there any reason to believe that these simplifying assumptions are
> not acceptable? If so, why?
>

> I've added the following sets of accessor functions:
>    - lock acquire/release for socket, sockbuf, inpcb
>    - higher level functions for tcp shutdown and syncache to abstract
> away the tcbinfo lock
>    - accessor functions for all the accessed fields in socket and
> inpcb so that none of the members are referenced as offsets from the
> base of the structure

I apologize for not yet reviewing all the code.  I take that last bit
to mean the drivers can reach up into sockets given those functions?
I gather this is due to the work necessary to implement RDMA over TCP?

> The current state of the code can be seen at:
> http://157.22.130.171/svn/branches/projects/iwarp/sys/

Is there a simple way to get just that directory without doing a svn
on your whole repo?  And if not, what's the easiest way to just grab
that stuff?

Best,
George