Regarding if_alloc()

gnn at freebsd.org gnn at freebsd.org
Fri Apr 18 06:30:02 UTC 2008

At Thu, 17 Apr 2008 18:35:23 -0700 (PDT),
vijay singh wrote:

> Hi all. How do we avoid a race in populating the ifindex_table? Id
> this is a TODO, as it seems from the code below, would it be
> acceptable if I wrote a patch and reused the ifnet_lock
> [IFNET_WLOCK, IFNET_WUNLOCK]?

It is almost always acceptable to submit a patch :-)

> if_alloc(u_char type)
> {
>     struct ifnet *ifp;
>
>     ifp = malloc(sizeof(struct ifnet), M_IFNET, M_WAITOK|M_ZERO);
>
>     /*
>      * Try to find an empty slot below if_index.  If we fail, take
>      * the next slot.
>      *
>      * XXX: should be locked!
>      */
>     for (ifp->if_index = 1; ifp->if_index <= if_index; ifp->if_index++) {
>         if (ifnet_byindex(ifp->if_index) == NULL)
>             break;
>     }

There are still parts of the network device infrastructure that need
some locking, and it would seem that this is one of them.  I know
Brooks Davis was also looking at this stuff so he may comment as well.

Best,
George