kern/122839: [multicast] FreeBSD 7 multicast routing problem

4pr at legis.krsn.ru 4pr at legis.krsn.ru
Thu Apr 17 15:48:54 UTC 2008

Thank you very mach for your response!

Yes, as i wrote before, if mrouted daemon, or pimdd daemon is running,
then ALLMULTI flag appears on all interfaces (i can see it from ifconfig
output). But multicast routing do not work.

I have a machine with an old FreeBSD4.9 running, wich working as a
router/multicast router with Intel gigabit desktop pci adapters (em)
installed. That old installation do not have any problems with multicast
routing role. So for testing i have installed completly equal to that old
ones cards to my new installation of FreeBSD7.0 instead of new Intel's
pcix server adapters (they also uses driver em) which i tryed to use
before. And resault was absolutely the same. Mrouting do not work, until
promiscious mode will be enabled (by mtest or tcpdump). So i fink, it is
not a firmware bug, as card working correctly with 4.9 release.

I desided to try to use that hardware with FreeBSD 6.3 installed into
another hard drive with GENERIC kernel and ip_mroute loaded after boot
time. And resault still the same. On 6.3 branch i have same problem.

Is it possible, what on different drivers like "em" and "msk" existing the
same bug, wich cousing them do not work with multicast routing code
correctly?

More infromation about problem, if it might help: then on receiveng
machine on vlc player (adjasted to receive multicast from 239.0.2.1) i
pressing PLAY button, mrouted -d do not show anything about that event.
Then i pressing the STOP button i see on debug:

19:13:48.138 RECV V2 member report   from 192.168.102.2   to 239.0.2.1

But, if promiscious mode enabled, then i pressing PLAY button on receiver
i see:

19:13:48.138 RECV V2 member report   from 192.168.102.2   to 239.0.2.1
19:13:48.138 group 239.0.2.1 joined on vif 1
19:13:48.138 update lclgrp (192.168.101/24 239.0.2.1) gm:2
19:13:48.270 RECV V2 member report   from 192.168.102.2   to 239.0.2.1
19:13:52.344 aging forwarding cache entries

and pressin the STOP buttong gives more debug print, then without
promiscious mode enabled.

So i'm shure, there was a lot code changing in em driver since 4.9, and
somethng might be occasionally broken in the code.

Please, cold you help me with contacting Pyun YongHyeon and/or Jack Vogel?
Or where i can find theyr email addresses?

Tommorow i will try another cards, like rtl8139 10/100 or similar for
testing.

Thank you again.