bge dropping packets issue

Christopher Arnold chris at arnold.se
Thu Apr 17 14:34:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Alexander Sack wrote:

> For my own edification, when do you want use DEVICE_POLLING versus
> interrupt driven network I/O?  With all question like these I suppose
> the answer depends on the workload and the interrupt bandwidth of the
> machine (which depends on the type of hardware)...
>
> But why was it added to begin with if standard interrupt driven I/O is
> faster?  (was it the fact that historically hardware didn't do
> interrupt coalescing initially)

The ability to reserve cpu is one of the great features.

If your host is being DDOS'ed it is good to have a portion of the CPU
reserved to applications so a) the machine dosn't die. and b) so you can
continue to login and investigate and perhaps solve the problem.

  	/Chris

--
http://www.arnold.se/
http://www.mbit.us/