Howto send a limited broadcast?

tmm tmm at fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 13 03:09:22 UTC 2008

Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
> tmm wrote:
>> So, can anyone suggest how I can send a limited broadcast (on an
>> interface that has been initalized with an IP and a subnet)?
>
> Use the IP_ONESBCAST option and send to the network broadcast address
> for that subnet. The stack will change it into 255.255.255.255 on
> output. See man page ip(4) for details.
>
> It's a hack, but it's largely due to how the stack has worked
> historically.
>
> BMS
Thanks.  I wasn't aware of that option.

But now I find that this option is not present in my (eCos port of)
FreeBSD stack.  Either it was removed during the port, or the ported
version is too old.

Perhaps the best thing for me to do is to look at the 'normal' FreeBSD
stack (as opposed to the eCos one) and see how IP_ONESBCAST is
implemented.  Then perhaps I could do the same thing in my FreeBSD stack.

Is there a way for me to download the FreeBSD source code without
actually downloading, burning, and installing FreeBSD?  Looking around
the FreeBSD website I don't see a source download link.

thanks,
Tom.