Can routed cause interference with hostap and stability of Wireless Connectivity?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Apr 8 18:48:51 UTC 2008

On Apr 8, 2008, at 11:10 AM, Martes G Wigglesworth wrote:
> When fielding a newer, less resource rich system as access point/
> router,
> I noticed that after about five minutes of a client securing a good
> connection, the ip address of the ath0 device dissappeared from the
> routing table, and routed began spitting out errors indicating that it
> could not find the route, etc...

That sounds like this:

"    When started (or when a network interface is later turned on),
routed
      uses an AF_ROUTE address family facility to find those directly
connected
      interfaces configured into the system and marked "up".  It adds
necessary
      routes for the interfaces to the kernel routing table.  Soon
after being
      first started, and provided there is at least one interface on
which RIP
      has not been disabled, routed deletes all pre-existing non-
static routes
      in kernel table.  Static routes in the kernel table are
preserved and
      included in RIP responses if they have a valid RIP metric (see
route(8))."

> And when should routed even be used?

Do you have a need to perform dynamic routing?  Most people don't...a
static route to a default gateway works fine.

--
-Chuck