ipfw uid/gid to match listening TCP sockets?

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Tue Apr 8 17:29:06 UTC 2008

Yar Tikhiy wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Robert Watson <rwatson at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>>  On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
>>

>>> Our ipfw currently doesn't seem to match this host's traffic by uid/gid if
>> the traffic goes to a listening TCP socket.  E.g., if one tries to allow
>> passive data connections to a local anonymous FTP server as follows, it
>> won't work:
>>>        ipfw add 10000 allow tcp from any to me dst-port 49152-65535 uid
>> ftp in keep-state
>>> This behaviour is obvious from ip_fw2.c:
>>>
>>>  2009          if (proto == IPPROTO_TCP) {
>>>  2010                  wildcard = 0;
>>>  2011                  pi = &tcbinfo;
>>>  2012          } else if (proto == IPPROTO_UDP) {
>>>  2013                  wildcard = INPLOOKUP_WILDCARD;
>>>  2014                  pi = &udbinfo;
>>>  2015          } else
>>>  2016                  return 0;
>>>
>>> I.e., it is OK for UDP to match PCBs (essentially sockets) with a wildcard
>> foreign (remote) address, but not for TCP.
>>> I wonder if there will be any security or whatever issues if the wildcard
>> flag is set for TCP, too.  The only peculiarity I can see now is that
>> listening sockets shouldn't generate outbound traffic; as soon a 3-way
>> handshake starts, a separate PCB is created.  Thus a listening socket can
>> match inbound packets only.
>>> Are there any other points I missed?  Thanks!
>>>
>>  None of this code really makes very much sense anyway, and is vulnerable to
>> a number of races and semantic inconsistencies, not to mention application
>> behavior that confuses it (such as sshd's opening forwarded sockets using a
>> privileged credential).  I'm not sure I agree with your analysis that listen
>> sockets don't generate packets, btw: the syncache generates packets that are
>> not yet from a specific socket, so arguably they are from the listen socket.
>> All that said, I don't see any reason not to match listen sockets in the pcb
>> lookup here.
>
> Thank you for these points! Matching packets from listen sockets makes
> the case even simpler; then it's the matter of changing the "wildcard = 0;"
> to "wildcard = INPLOOKUP_WILDCARD;". At least matching listen sockets
> doesn't seem to break things not already broken.
>
>>  Be aware that uid/gid/jail rules may become less maintainable as our TCP
>> locking becomes more mature.  We already jump through some uncomfortable
>> hoops to keep it working, but I'm not sure how long that can go on.
>
> I've always viewed uid/gid rules as a hack that works for now. In the long run
> we may want to consider an API allowing privileged apps to punch holes
> in the firewall in a controllable manner. Of course, the API should be agnostic
> of the particular firewall type. Then, e.g., ftpd(8) would be able to
> open its current
> passive data port only and to a single remote IP, and the whole port
> range wouldn't
> need to be exposed. Such holes could be handled as dynamic rules/states so that
> [...]

we use these rules in a totally different manner... i.e. so one
'replacement' may not suit all users.. only people that use it in
that manner.

how we use it:

transparent redirection for a proxy,  where the proxy is pretending to
be the client....

fwd 127.0.0.1:80 tcp from any 80 to any in recv ${outside_iface} uid
${proxy_uid}

If the proxy has a socket that matches the packet it gets captured,
even if there is no other reason tho think it would be local..