kern/122319: [wi] imposible to enable ad-hoc demo mode with Orinoco Gold PC card

Simas Kvilius kvilius.simas at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 07:50:02 PDT 2008

The following reply was made to PR kern/122319; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Simas Kvilius" <kvilius.simas at gmail.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, kvilius.simas at gmail.com
Subject: Re: kern/122319: [wi] imposible to enable ad-hoc demo mode with Orinoco Gold PC card
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:16:32 +0300

 Addition info:
 Today I tested FreeBSD6.3 wi driver and inspected underlying wi code.
 I found out that FreeBSD6.3 has the same adhoc demo bug  as 7.0
 (inability to turn on ad-hoc demo mode), I added following code to
 /dev/wi/if_wi.c line 385:

 ic->ic_caps |= IEEE80211_C_AHDEMO;

 This code line completely fixed issues with my Lucent Orinoco wireless
 card in FreeBSD6.3, now I'm able to do both tasks: enable ad-hoc mode
 and change radio channels.

 ifconfig wi0 media DS/11Mbps mode 11b mediaopt adhoc,flag0 <-- this
 command enables ad-hoc demo mode as it should
 ifconfig wi0 channel 13 <-- this command changes radio channel as it should

 This discovery implies two things:

 1.  Inability to enable ad-hoc demo mode in FreeBSD6.3 and FreeBSD7.0
 and inability to change channels if FreeBSD are two separate (and
 probably unrelated) bugs.

 2. Because in FreeBSD6.3 I can change channels, but in FreeBSD I can
 not, the bug lies somewhere in code, which was updated between
 FreeBSD6.3 and 7.0, moreover I discovered that I cannot change channel
 in standard adhoc mode as well as in adhoc demo mode, so this bug is
 general to adhoc mode.