kern/122319: [wi] imposible to enable ad-hoc demo mode with Orinoco Gold PC card

Simas Kvilius kvilius.simas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 08:27:47 PDT 2008

Addition info:
Today I tested FreeBSD6.3 wi driver and inspected underlying wi code.
I found out that FreeBSD6.3 has the same adhoc demo bug  as 7.0
(inability to turn on ad-hoc demo mode), I added following code to
/dev/wi/if_wi.c line 385:

ic->ic_caps |= IEEE80211_C_AHDEMO;

This code line completely fixed issues with my Lucent Orinoco wireless
card in FreeBSD6.3, now I'm able to do both tasks: enable ad-hoc mode
and change radio channels.

ifconfig wi0 media DS/11Mbps mode 11b mediaopt adhoc,flag0 <-- this
command enables ad-hoc demo mode as it should
ifconfig wi0 channel 13 <-- this command changes radio channel as it should

This discovery implies two things:

1.  Inability to enable ad-hoc demo mode in FreeBSD6.3 and FreeBSD7.0
and inability to change channels if FreeBSD are two separate (and
probably unrelated) bugs.

2. Because in FreeBSD6.3 I can change channels, but in FreeBSD I can
not, the bug lies somewhere in code, which was updated between
FreeBSD6.3 and 7.0, moreover I discovered that I cannot change channel
in standard adhoc mode as well as in adhoc demo mode, so this bug is
general to adhoc mode.