TX Multiqueue?

Kip Macy kip.macy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 15:47:15 PDT 2007

On 9/23/07, Darren Reed <darrenr at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Kip Macy wrote:
> > My ethng branch supports multiple rx and tx queues.
> >
> >  -Kip
> >

> What are your plans for how we use/manage/interact with the mutiple
> rx/tx queues?

The rx hardware queue is determined by the hardware. Different
hardware allows for different policies. I just use the stock rss_hash
of a crc32 of the 4-tuple in cxgb. I've added a field to the pkthdr
which cxgb uses the least significant bits of to determine which
outbound queue to use. Its up to the upper layers to determine how to
set those bits. One of the changes that is required to take advantaged
of this is moving the queues into the driver. I've added a new
if_start function to ifnet to take advantage of this. I also have a
normal if_start function for backward compatibility.

 -Kip