Freebsd MPD PPTP

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 5 11:58:41 PDT 2007

Hi.

Mihai Tanasescu wrote:
> I'm using MPD4 to establish a PPTP VPN from my FreeBSD 6.2 server to
> some clients and I've started encountering some strange problems.
>
> The connection goes well, everything functions accordingly but after a
> while (very random, can be 5 minutes, 1 hour, 8 hours) I loose
> connectivity (the clients' Windows icon show packet are being sent, but
> nothing is received). A tcpdump on the external interface shows no
> packets going out and the same for tcpdump on ng0 (although I'm not sure
> if it should display something here).

Tcpdump on ng0 interface should display traffic inside tunnel. It also
may be interesting to look on internal interface as tcpdump is able to
decode PPTP packets.

> For what I've seen the ip address on the ng0 interface disappears.

This may be significant. Configure syslog for logging mpd messages, it
should give you information about why IP disappeared. Probably it
happened in result of some error. Also look to the messages logs, there
may be something interesting.

--
Alexander Motin