pppoa connection

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass at teledomenet.gr
Fri Oct 26 00:46:46 PDT 2007

On Friday 26 October 2007 10:06:30 Kim Shrier wrote:
> I do have a fixed IP address.  I have tried using their modem
> as a router and assigned my IP address to the modem.  This forces
> me to use the NAT facility in the modem and it keeps dropping
> my ssh sessions.  I have also seen the modem drop the pppoa
> connection and not be able to reestablish it until I reboot the
> modem.
>
> The only thing this fine piece of equipment has been able to do
> reliably is maintain the virtual circuit to the ISP.  Anything
> at a higher level in the protocol stack is too flakey.  Hence,
> I just want it to act as the most stupid of pipes between me
> and the ISP.

Yes, this is a familiar situation:) Most of the time these NAT
devices are configured for non-interactive protocols doing bulk
transfers , so ssh having long periods of inactivity suffers...

And even these is flakey, as you said.

> Other people successfully use this modem to connect to their ISP
> when the ISP accepts pppoe connections and the modem is configured
> as a bridge.  Unfortunately, my ISP doesn't support pppoe, only
> pppoa.

The only way to do PPPoA is to have a device that does the DSL and
ATM layers and handles the rest to FreeBSD.