pppoa connection

Kim Shrier kim at tinker.com
Fri Oct 26 00:06:34 PDT 2007

I do have a fixed IP address.  I have tried using their modem
as a router and assigned my IP address to the modem.  This forces
me to use the NAT facility in the modem and it keeps dropping
my ssh sessions.  I have also seen the modem drop the pppoa
connection and not be able to reestablish it until I reboot the
modem.

The only thing this fine piece of equipment has been able to do
reliably is maintain the virtual circuit to the ISP.  Anything
at a higher level in the protocol stack is too flakey.  Hence,
I just want it to act as the most stupid of pipes between me
and the ISP.

Other people successfully use this modem to connect to their ISP
when the ISP accepts pppoe connections and the modem is configured
as a bridge.  Unfortunately, my ISP doesn't support pppoe, only
pppoa.

So, can I pull this off?

  Kim Shrier - principal, Shrier and Deihl - mailto:kim at tinker.com
Remote Unix Network Admin, Security, Internet Software Development
   Tinker Internet Services - Superior FreeBSD-based Web Hosting
                      http://www.tinker.com/