Disable Exponential Backoff (retry) on Ethernet?

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sat Oct 20 04:14:12 PDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 08:51:34PM -0700, Len Gross wrote:
>I'm doing some protocol development and it is convenient to start it on
>Ethernet.  I will need to send a packet to the Ethernet device and only have
>it be sent once, even if there is a colision.

I know we've still got some hubs lying around in a backroom at work
but I don't know of anything that will let you disable the retry-on-CD.

Have you considered simulating the network at a slightly higher lever:
Use ipfw pipes or similar to simulate packet loss (either set a queue
length of 1 or probabilistically).  This could be done either as a
bridge or by tunneling your protocol over IP or UDP.

--
Peter