IPv6 <-> NAT <-> IPv4 ... possible?

Vince Hoffman jhary at unsane.co.uk
Fri Oct 19 16:15:56 PDT 2007

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Could I hide an IPv6 network behind NAT?  I don't know if that is even possible
> ... the IPv6 IPs would be private (equiv to 192.168.x.x) ... basically, none of
> the hosts behind NAT need a public IP, *but* I may end up with more then 256
> hosts, so was wondering if using IPv6 behind the NAT would be 'simplier' ...
>
> If possible, pointers to docs to read would be appreciated ...

There was some talk about this on NANOG recently.
I believe it's known as NAT-PT although
http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Educating_Yourself_about_IPv6 says
that "IETF has deprecated NAT-PT to historical status, it does work and
some people feel that it is superior to 6to4 Relay" (havent tried it
myself) I believe KAME had an implementation for BSD in their snapkit,
and google picks up a few hits on it like
http://mucc.mahidol.ac.th/~ccvvs/KAME-NAT-PT-ENG.htm

Hope thats useful,
Vince