Disable Exponential Backoff (retry) on Ethernet?

Sten Daniel Soersdal netslists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 15:35:15 PDT 2007

Len Gross wrote:
> Thanks so much for the response.  Here is some additional information.
>
> I'm trying to emulate an RF network where there are colisions (e.g. "Aloha"
> type protocol) so I actually need collisions!  I had forgotten that modern
> hardware
> essentially eliminated them.  So, lets say I can find/use an "old hub",
> can I control the number of retries?  Maybe I have to find some old NICs and
> old drivers?

That would be very NIC specific. Retries are done in NIC hardware as far
as i know.

All you need to do to get some collisions is to set the rates to
half-duplex on both sides (hubs were half-duplex). Hubs with lot's of
traffic between other hosts would definitely produce more collisions.

Modern hardware didn't eliminate them. Full-Duplex medium did.
There is a broad range of full-duplex RF systems too :)

--
Sten Daniel Soersdal