Marvell chipsets on 8-CURRENT and XP x64 won't talk with one another

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 19 15:23:44 PDT 2007

Hi,
	In an effort to connect my 2 machines up -- the FreeBSD 8-CURRENT
and the Windows box, for filesharing via SMB I've installed samba3
and done that song and dance to get things to work. The really weird
thing is that my 2 machines will talk via ICMP with one another, but
not via TCP and/or UDP (connections time out). Thinking that it was
just a samba3 issue, I tried ssh as well (Cygwin installed), and ssh
connections (Windows to FreeBSD) fails with connection timeouts as well.
	Both machines have Marvell onboard chipsets and will communicate
with my Mac OSX 10.4.9 iBook (has a Broadcom chipset) without issue
(in fact that's what I'm using as my 'bridge' right now). I tried
also using an SMB client via my Xbox but that failed as well (then
again the XBMC SMB client tended to be really quirky if setup
incorrectly).
	I'm not sure where to start, so if there are any ideas I'd be more
than happy to hear them. This issue has been occurring from 7-CURRENT
built in late September to 8-CURRENT built 6 days ago.
Thanks,
-Garrett