When interface becomes down, ipv6 direct routes are not deleted

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Oct 12 13:55:45 PDT 2007

> Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 22:38:04 +0800
> From: "Jiusheng Liu" <liujiusheng at gmail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-net at freebsd.org
>
> When I make the interface down by ifconfig, all the direct routes are
> not deleted. And the addresses state are not changed. And I can even
> ping those address in this interface.
> Is this correct, or a bug? I test it in vmware virtual machine.
>
> This is my first post to this mailing list, and I don't know if it is
> the right place.
> Any ideas are appreciated, thank you in advance.

Looks like the right place to me.

There has been some discussion about the deletion of routes whan an
interface is configured DOWN, but there are several problems that this
causes. Basically, ifconfig should not touch routing information.

I'm not sure whet you mean by "the addresses state". The address of an
interface should certainly not be changed by setting it DOWN. It should
retain the address since it should not need reconfiguration when it is
set to UP. (DHCP assigned addresses are an exception to this.)

You should not be able to ping the down interface. If you really are,
something is broken, although it may have to do with the vmware
operation. I don't know much detail about how they network between host
and client system. If they are really using the loopback, then things
pings would work. And putting an entry in /etc/hosts for the local
system name that points to 127.0.0.1 is fairly common and is required
for many software things to work right. An external system should not be
able to ping that interface.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)