FreeBSD as a gigabit router

Kirill Ponazdyr lists at codeangels.com
Wed Oct 3 16:18:54 PDT 2007

> Hi list,
>
> A few days ago I tested whether a FreeBSD 7 box is able to handle Gigabit
> Can anybody point me what the bottleneck of this configuration is? CPU was
> mostly idle and PCIe 1x should carry way more. Or is the experiment
> perhaps
> fundamentally flawed?

ICMP is not a good way to perform such tests as many have mentioned,
better use iperf.

We have a FreeBSD 6.2 / pf box handling 2Gbps of traffic, real traffic, it
will probably handle more, we just had no capacities or need to test.

Hardware is a Single 2.4 Ghz Xeon with 2 x Intel Quad Pro 1000MT PCI-X
Controllers on separate PCI-X Busses.

Here are most optimal options:

Kernel:
------------------------------------