Help no network with dhcp

security security at jim-liesl.org
Mon Nov 19 11:05:45 PST 2007

   kev c wrote:

--- Kip Macy [1]<kip.macy at gmail.com> wrote:

On Nov 17, 2007 2:40 PM, kev c
[2]<kevcormier at yahoo.com> wrote:

I am trying to install freebsd from an ftp server

but

the dhcp configuration is not working in

sysinstall.

It says, no dhcpoffers received..

The computer is wired to a dlink di624 router

acting

as a dhcp server. The server works with windows..

Can you provide a tcpdump from another machine on
the network to see
if the DHCP requests are completely ignored? What is
the ethernet
card?

It is a cnet pro200wl with a davicom dm9102a chipset.

I installed freebsd from a cd and then ran dhclient
and tcpdump kept on saying,

...ip 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps:
bootp/dhcp, request from..(oui unknown), length: 300

-Kip

   Kip, Can you run wireshark, ethereal or tcpdump from another computer
   in the LAN?  It should see the broadcast.  I know you said it works
   under windows, but do you have any MAC filtering going on at the dlink
   end?  What version of FreeBSD are you working with?  Does the dlink
   have a log that would show it's DHCP activity?
   thx