Marvell chipsets on 8-CURRENT and XP x64 won't talk with one another

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Wed Nov 7 00:15:19 PST 2007

Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 03:12:34PM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>  > Garrett Cooper wrote:
>  > >On Oct 31, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>  > >>I'm running tcpdump on my Mac and I noted a lot of 'bad checksums'
>  > >>(0x081c was the official error in all cases), then consulted the msk
>  > >>driver. It appears that there's a bug with Yukon II chipsets with the
>  > >>hardware checksumming and I wonder whether or not the chipset that I
>  > >>have is affected by this issue as well.
>  > >>I'll provide my chipset/model info in my next reply (can't access it
>  > >>from this PC).
>  > >>-Garrett
>  > >
>  > >Got a wee bit busy there.
>  > >
>  > >Anyhow, here's the chipset info (snippet) reported from dmesg:
>  > >
>  > >[gcooper at shiina: ~]$ ssh -C optimus "dmesg | grep msk"
>  > >Password:
>  > >mskc0: <Marvell Yukon 88E8056 Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xd800-0xd8ff mem
>  > >0xfe9fc000-0xfe9fffff irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci2
>  > >msk0: <Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Yukon EC Ultra Id 0xb4 Rev 0x02>
>  > >on mskc0
>  > >msk0: Ethernet address: 00:1b:fc:45:9b:5c
>  > >miibus0: <MII bus> on msk0
>  > >
>  > >-Garrett
>  >
>  > The issue indeed is with the msk(4) driver in FreeBSD.
>  > I just plugged in an em(4) compatible card, powered it up and now my
>  > server works like a champ with the XP machine.
>
> I'm confused. As I said in previous mail please check network cables
> such that down-shifting wouldn't take part in this issue. If that
> does not fix the issue, force speed/duplex on both ends.

Which I made sure of. Enforcing duplexing from the FreeBSD (and I assume
Windows?) end worked successfully. So, unless something's doing a really
shoddy job of detecting the media type for a number of different cables,
I don't think that .

>  > As a reference the MB's affected by this are mostly the ASUS MB's, i.e.
>  > P5B and P5K series ones. MSI MB's may be affected by this issue as well
>  > because I think they come with msk(4) compatible chipsets onboard..
>
> Bad checksum seems to be different issue to me. Capture traffic on
> Mac with tcpdump and give me a URL for the pcap file.
> Btw, it would be even better if you can show me the PHY driver
> (e1000phy(4)) information in dmesg output.

Will do once I get my gigabit switch back from Netgear (bloody port
routing controller card on the switch died after transferring a few GB
of data, sadly enough :(...). I assume the e1000phy patch is already in
8-CURRENT? What exactly does output from e1000phy(4) output look like
though?

My thought about this is that all of the TCP packets received from the
FreeBSD machine were considered bad, so the XP machine gave up after so
many tries and bad checksum reports. I could be wrong though.

Thanks for the advice,
-Garrett