FIN_WAIT_2 on FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE

Stefan Lambrev stefan.lambrev at moneybookers.com
Thu Nov 1 11:07:11 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm seeing strange problem with sockets in state FIN_WAIT_2.

netstat -n |grep FIN_WAIT_2|wc -l
shows 12234 lines, Those sockets never die and just grow more and more,
when finally today I saw this in logs:
postfix/smtp[6968]: connect to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[66.249.91.27]:
Can't assign requested address (port 25)
and this happens not only to postfix, but all clients & servers on this
host.
Even things that use only local connections throw out: connect: Can't
assign requested address

Shorty after I moved away almost everything from this server, there was
a spontaneous reboot.

I know what apache and some buggy clients can cause sockets to stay in
state FIN_WAIT_2, but they should disappear
after some timeout.
Is there a point to go for 6.3-prerelease, or nothing like this was
reported, respectively fixed between may 2007 and today?
Migration to RELENG_7 is not option for me at this point as this host
serves something like 6mbps of http traffic,
and there is a report that sometimes hosts running releng_7 can't be
reached ..

6.2-STABLE from May 9 - amd64

Thanks in advance.