networking code and splx()

Ignacio Rey unixero at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 20:06:01 UTC 2007

Hello everyone,

I'm studying a bit the FreeBSD networking code.

I've read "TCP/IP illustrated vol 2" by G. R. Wright and W. R. Stevens,
which describes code in 4.4BSD-lite.

Now I'm taking a look at FreeBSD 6.2 release. Some things are different,
many others kept the same. What I'm confused about is that in 4.4BSD
there are many calls to the splx() family of functions, and I didn't see
any of them in the networking code in FreeBSD. However the 'grep' program
showed me that they are used in other parts of the kernel.

The question is: Have calls to these functions been wrapped? or are they
simply not used in this context?

Thanks in advance,

Ignacio