what is wrong with ipv6_defaultrouter ?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 10 05:13:24 UTC 2007

Jason Arnaute wrote:
> --- "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> If memory serves me right, Jason Arnaute wrote:
>>> (FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE)
>>>
>>> I have two ipv6 related lines in my /etc/rc.conf:
>>>
>>> ifconfig_em0_alias0="inet6 XXX::2/48"
>>> ipv6_defaultrouter="XXX::1"
>>>
>>> When I boot like this, I do not get a default ipv6
>>> route in my routing table.  'netstat -rn' shows me
>>> default route for ipv4, but no default route for
>> ipv6.
>>
>> You probably want to replace that first line with:
>>
>> ipv6_ifconfig_em0="XXX::2/48"
>>
>> Also make sure to set ipv6_enable="YES".
>

> But the ipv6 ifconfig and the ipv6 networking all work
> fine without either of those changes.  I'd prefer not
> to fix anything that isn't broken ...

There is a difference between "what I need to type after the system is
up" and "what I need to add to rc.conf so that the boot scripts
understand what I'm trying to do." Read the rc.conf man page, and
particularly the ipv6_network_interfaces entry.

> Are you suggesting that one or both of those changes
> will cause the ipv6_defaultrouter declaration to
> suddenly begin working ?

You can't have a default route for an interface that isn't up, and you
can't do IPv6 at boot without ipv6_enable, so yes, both are required.

hth,

Doug